Confessions: When My Heart Resists God's Purpose
Jonah 4:20 - "He prayed to the Lord, 'Isn't this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.'" (NIV)
Jonah's confession is surprisingly honest. He finally admits that his flight to Tarshish was never about fear of the Ninevites. It was about God's character. Jonah knew that if Nineveh repented, God would forgive them. Jonah wanted judgment, but God desired mercy.
How often do we find ourselves in a similar place? Perhaps we don't board a ship to Tarshish, but our hearts can still run from God's purposes.
Sometimes we resist because His plans don't align with our preferences. Other times we become distracted by the demands of life, comfortable in routines that require little faith, or determined to pursue our own ambitions instead of His calling.
Our resistance may look like:
- Choosing our own plans over God's direction.
- Insisting that our way is better than His.
- Becoming sidetracked by distractions that slowly pull our hearts away.
- Settling into comfort instead of obedience.
- Withholding forgiveness or compassion because we believe others deserve judgment more than grace.
Like Jonah, we may still talk to God while quietly resisting what He is asking of us. Outwardly we appear faithful, yet inwardly we are arguing with His purposes.
The beauty of Jonah's story is that God continues to pursue His servant. God is patient enough to confront Jonah's heart, revealing not only His concern for Nineveh but also His concern for Jonah. God's desire was not simply to change a city; it was to transform His prophet.
This passage invites us to examine our own hearts.
Are there places where I am resisting God's purpose?
Have I become so comfortable that obedience feels inconvenient?
Am I insisting on my own way instead of trusting His?
Is there someone I struggle to extend the same grace that God has freely given me?
True confession is more than admitting our actions. It is allowing God to expose the attitudes beneath them. When we surrender our will to His, we discover that His purposes are always wiser, His compassion is always greater, and His plans accomplish far more than our own.
Prayer
Father, search my heart and reveal any area where I have resisted Your purpose. Forgive me for choosing my own way, becoming distracted, or settling into comfort instead of faithful obedience. Shape my heart to reflect Yours. Help me to love what You love, extend the grace You have shown me, and trust that Your ways are higher than mine. May I walk willingly in the purpose You have prepared for me. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment