Breakfast with missionaries from Emmaus Church, Kansas
This morning I had the wonderful privilege of speaking to a group of missionaries who have spent much of their lives serving the Lord in foreign lands.
As I looked around the room, I was deeply moved. Each missionary carried a unique story—a story of sacrifice, perseverance, and unwavering commitment to Christ. As they shared their testimonies, I heard about the joys of ministry, but also the challenges, disappointments, loneliness, and pain that often accompany life on the mission field.
Yet what impressed me most was this: not one of them spoke with bitterness. In spite of their different circumstances, every one of them praised the Lord and continued to serve Him faithfully. Their lives were a powerful testimony to God's sustaining grace.
I shared with them from Matthew 28:17–20, a passage we often read when speaking about the Great Commission. However, before Jesus gave the command to "go," Matthew records an often-overlooked detail:
"When they saw Him, they worshipped Him; but some doubted."
What an amazing statement!
These were the very disciples who had walked with Jesus for more than three years. They had witnessed His miracles, heard His teaching, seen Him crucified, and now stood before the risen Christ. Yet Matthew honestly tells us that some doubted.
I found that deeply encouraging.
Jesus did not rebuke them for their doubts. He did not withdraw their calling or replace them with others. Instead, He entrusted them with the greatest mission in history and assured them with one of the greatest promises in Scripture:
"Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
I also shared honestly about moments in my own journey when I questioned God. Like many who serve Him, there have been seasons when I did not understand His ways. But looking back, I can testify that He has never failed me. His faithfulness has remained constant even when my faith wavered.
I left the missionaries with three simple but powerful reminders that continue to encourage me:
His Presence – We are never alone. Wherever God sends us, He goes before us and walks beside us.
His Provision – The God who calls is the God who provides. He is always faithful to supply what is needed for His work.
His Protection – Our lives are safely in His hands. Nothing can happen to us outside His sovereign will.
Serving Christ does not mean we will never have questions. It means that even in the midst of our questions, we can continue to worship, obey, and trust the One who has promised, "I am with you always."
Comments
Post a Comment