Promise verse for May - Isaiah 46:4


The promise verse for the month of May is taken from Isaiah 46:4:

  • Even to your old age and grey hairs, I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

In the preceding verses, the prophet mocks the idols of Babylon. Bel and Nebo, the gods of Babylon were reverently worshipped by the Babylonians. There were many statues of theses gods for the people to worship and bow down. Sometimes there idols were carried or carts driven by the animals. We do see this in many parts of Asia even today. Babylon was a great military power and much of that power would have been attributed to these gods. But when Persia attacked Babylon, even their gods could not stop the military advance. And in fleeing from the attack of the enemy, the Babylonians took their idols with them, in their cart. Maybe hoping these gods will deliver them. Sadly even their gods ended in captivity together with them.


And that’s how our chapter begins. “Bel bows down, Nebo stoops, their idols are on beasts and cattle; these things you carry are loaded as burdens on weary animals.” Both the idols and their owners are bowed down. The gods cannot protect the people, and the people cannot protect the gods. They go off into captivity together.


But by way of contrast, Jehovah God is just the opposite. In spite of their disobedience, their arrogance and defilement, God still loves the children of Israel.


He reminds the House of Israel:


He loved them in the past

  • Verse 3 - you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried since you were born.

Not just when they were born but even when they were in their mother’s womb, it was God who carried them. What an amazing God. 


That is why the psalmist says in Psalms 139:13-14

  • For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

Even when the children of Israel came out of Egypt, it was the Lord who carried them safely through the wilderness journey

  • Deut 1:31 - and in the wilderness. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”

Even as I look back in my life, I can see how the Lord has delicately carried me, even though I failed many times. But God lovingly carried me, preserved me and saw me through difficult situations. In times when I was alone, He was there by my side. In times of pain, He was my comfort. Every step of the journey, it was God who carried me through. 


Alleluia. 


And now see what God tells them:


He will love them till the end (future)

  • Verse 4 - Even to your old age and grey hair I am he, I am he who will sustain you.  have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Even when we grow old, God will still love us. I have seen many elderly parents who have been left to take care of themselves, even in their old age. Some of them sent to care homes because children are too busy with their careers and other commitments, parents have become a burden. These were the same parents that natured them, cared for them, loved when they were helpless. Gave their kids a good education and made so many sacrifices for them. Sadly left to fend for themselves at the last lap of life’s’ journey.


But God is not like that. He promised to see us through the very end. “I will never leave you not forsake you”. Even we as parents, after a certain age want our children to be independent and take care of themselves. But not our God. He promises to carry us even into our old age. 


And the same God reminds Israel of His great love for them in Isaiah 46:15

  • “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

And the Lord promises three things to us

  • He will sustain - God will provide for my physical and spiritual needs
  • He will carry - God will take care of my emotional needs
  • He will rescue - God is my security. God will always provide a way of escape in every difficult situation or give me the grace to sail through.
Because of my past experience of God's love and the hope He give me for the future, I can trust him for the present. Isaiah describes the experience in a very affectionate way:

Isaiah 40:11 -  He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory