Sunday at Kotka, Finland

Today we made the historic journey by road to Kotka. Kotka is about 135 km from Helsinki. I drove the car. It took us about 1 hr 30 mins. The highway was good and the traffic light.

Kotka is a small town by the Gulf of Finland. It is pretty with good greenery. Before we went to the church, we stopped by at the house where Sis Rasi used to live, before she came to Singapore. It was in a quiet environment.

As we approached the church, my heart was filled with trepidation.. This was the church from where the lady who brought us to Christ was sent from. A strange sense of execution, quite difficult to describe.

We arrived good and early. Some people, mostly elderly folks had gathered. The lady in-charge of the service Sis Marja-Liisa Turunen, briefed us on the order of service.

The service started with prayer and a song by two ladies. I was almost in tears as I sat on the pews. This building has a lot of spiritual significance for me.

The service was in Finnish. It didn't sound like a Pentecostal church though. There were about 60 people. Only two-three youths and one child.After the song, we were introduced. and I was called to speak. I spoke on the impact the Finnish missionaries had on Singapore and especially many of our church members.I briefly shared on the life of St Paul and his passion for the gospel.  I could see many of the older folks were visibly moved.

After the sharing, a song was sung as the offering was taken and the serviced ended with prayer. After the service many people came and told us how much they were blessed by the sharing.

We also met Sis Teja who had visited PEC in the early 80's together with Sis Rasi's sister.


After the service, we went for lunch at a nearby Indian restaurant. The acting pastor of the church  Kari Hanninen, joined us for lunch and the conversation was mainly on how PEC is doing the mission work in other parts of SE Asia.



After lunch, we visited Sis Rasi's grave. Was overcome with emotions but thankful for all that she has done.

It was indeed an emotional journey for me to Kotka. This has been one of the places that I always wanted to visit and I thank God for the opportunity. Specially grateful to Tomi (Sis Rasi's nephew), for all the arrangements he had made and for going the extra mile for us. 

And as I mentioned in my facebook posting, "My bucket list is now empty. Anything more is exceptional grace"

On the way back, we stopped at some places of interests but for me, my trip here has been "complete". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory