Love has another name

On 3 Jan as I was walking to my car, a lady stopped me. She is from India and works as a helper in my friend's house. My wife and I often visit that home for fellowship and she always serves us with such great humility and care.

She gave me a "red packet". Usually these are love offerings given to the church or pastors. She said that it was her son's birthday and she wanted to bless some less fortunate kids. (She knows that we have children's homes in India and Myanmar). "Please buy some good food for the children". I could see tears whelming in her eyes.

My heart sank. How can I take money from someone who really needs the money for her own family. I know the many needs that  she had. She does not earn much and she has been away from her home in India and has not seen her children for more than a year. She could have easily used the money for her own children and yet...

But I did not want to deprive her of her blessings. Jesus said, "Give and it shall be given". The story about the rich people and the poor widow was another reminder of what the Lord said. “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them".

I took the offering with much gratitude, yet the feeling was "bitter sweet". "The Lord bless you sister", I said as I walked away with mixed feelings.


Yesterday the children in the Shadrach Home in Odisha, had a great feast. They sang a birthday song and prayed for the lady's son. They loved the food. Little did they know how the providence came. I was moved by the clip of the children praying for the son. 

Love has another name. Its call sacrifice. They are two sides of the same coin. Without sacrifice, love is only a fleeting emotion. And giving without sacrifice is at most convenience simulating piety. 

Most of the time we will not hesitate to sacrifice for our family and loved ones. But for strangers...hmmm.

But the greatest act of love was shown on a little hill called Calvary, where the Son of God, the creator of the universe hung on the cross for his enemies. You and I.

John 3:16For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 5:8  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

How I pray that many more will give, and give generously to the work of reaching the lost for Christ. We in Singapore have many blessings and we many times, just throw it away in unnecessary spending. May the Lord make me a good steward, move my heart to give and give generously to end gospel poverty. 

Comments

  1. Praise the Lord sir 🙏🙏🙏🙏. Thank God and thank you also a lot and also thank that that sister. Who is streching her hands for the Kingdom of Lord Jesus Christ and also the helping of children. God bless you forever sir 🙏🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory