Flabbergasted and disappointed

 

On 22 Nov, my flight to New Delhi was in the afternoon, In the morning I asked my co-worker Dr Mike Ong, if I could get some roses for my wife. (It was my usual practise to get her, her favourite colours whenever I go to a new place. Not easy as you have hand carry, with many staring. Some even had the audacity to say, "Oh for your girl friend"🤦🏽‍♂️). Mike looked surprised and and said "its not cheap here". " I need a peace offering bro", I retorted sheepishly. 🤣

Mike said he knew some florist about 30 mins away and so we walked. It was not an easy walk as we had to ascend a hill. Along the way, Mike said he needs to go to the bank and he will be back in a while. I waited for a while and since it was getting late, I decided to venture on my own to get the flowers.

Lo and behold, I found the florist without any help and exactly the colours I wanted. I was so overjoyed, not for me but for her. The florist wrapped it nicely and it was a good bargain. Mike was pleasantly surprised at what I got. And so was I.

But my joy was short-lived.

As I was checking in through the security checks, the Nepali officer grabbed the flowers and said, "flowers not allow to be taken out of Nepal". And he just threw it away. I was like...ahhh. Lost for words. I nearly lost my head. My heart sank. Almost wanted to shout at him but a small voice within reminded me the I am a foreigner here and "you don't want any trouble".

After all the trouble I had gone through, just to be mishandled by an insensitive person (I am tempted to use some crass superlatives here but I shall refrain).

I left the place feeling angry and dejected 😰 I texted my daughter Jessica and vented my frustration. "Awww papa, that’s so nice and thoughtful of you", was her reply. It was not consoling.💔

It's five days now after the incident, I'm still disappointed but not angry anymore. Jeya doesn't know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The God Who Sees Me

Weekend at Kiros Cornerstone Church, Berastagi, Indonesia

When faith shines brighter than victory