Flabbergasted and disappointed

 

On 22 Nov, my flight to New Delhi was in the afternoon, In the morning I asked my co-worker Dr Mike Ong, if I could get some roses for my wife. (It was my usual practise to get her, her favourite colours whenever I go to a new place. Not easy as you have hand carry, with many staring. Some even had the audacity to say, "Oh for your girl friend"🤦🏽‍♂️). Mike looked surprised and and said "its not cheap here". " I need a peace offering bro", I retorted sheepishly. 🤣

Mike said he knew some florist about 30 mins away and so we walked. It was not an easy walk as we had to ascend a hill. Along the way, Mike said he needs to go to the bank and he will be back in a while. I waited for a while and since it was getting late, I decided to venture on my own to get the flowers.

Lo and behold, I found the florist without any help and exactly the colours I wanted. I was so overjoyed, not for me but for her. The florist wrapped it nicely and it was a good bargain. Mike was pleasantly surprised at what I got. And so was I.

But my joy was short-lived.

As I was checking in through the security checks, the Nepali officer grabbed the flowers and said, "flowers not allow to be taken out of Nepal". And he just threw it away. I was like...ahhh. Lost for words. I nearly lost my head. My heart sank. Almost wanted to shout at him but a small voice within reminded me the I am a foreigner here and "you don't want any trouble".

After all the trouble I had gone through, just to be mishandled by an insensitive person (I am tempted to use some crass superlatives here but I shall refrain).

I left the place feeling angry and dejected 😰 I texted my daughter Jessica and vented my frustration. "Awww papa, that’s so nice and thoughtful of you", was her reply. It was not consoling.💔

It's five days now after the incident, I'm still disappointed but not angry anymore. Jeya doesn't know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory