Focussed on the Goal


Philippians 2:12-14 -Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.


Like Paul, all of as christians, have a goal. A particular God given purpose, a destiny, only you and I can fulfil. But as we journey through life, we face a lot of distractions, burdens, discouragements and other pitfalls, that makes one to think is it worth running this race. My friends would know what I mean. Is this worth the while or should I just give up and live like everyone else. You will end up in heaven anyway.

I am sure when Paul was writing these verses, he must have recounted all the pain and trials he must have undergone for the sake of Christ and the gospel. Probably he would not have suffered so much had he still continued as a heretical Pharisee. 

But Paul says, Forgetting those things which are behind. He forgets all his victories, all his glories and all is successes. All his credentials that he mentions in the previous verses. But that also includes all his failures, all his disappointments, all his trials and challenges, even his impending death by the Roman empire. 

But he looks forward, focussed on his goal, the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. That's all it mattered to him.

At Virginia Beach, USA this morning, I was once again reminded of all the hindrances and difficulties that came in the lives of missionaries like William Carrey and Hutson Taylor as they toiled in the mission field. Yet they persevered. They reached their goal. 

Like them, we too will face distractions, disappointments and failures. The question is; do I have the persistence to reach the goal. The Holy Spirit is willing to see me through but am I?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory