Promise for 2011

It was unfortunate that I had to be in my office during the last night of the year. As I watched the clock bring another year into oblivion, my heart rumbled with a tense cry for God to bless the New Year. Suddenly the Spirit of the Lord drew my attention to the prayer of Jabez. I quickly googled the scripture to 1 Chron 4: 10 - Oh that Thou would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast (territory), and that Thine hand might be with me, and that Thou would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

This is going to be the promise for me this year in 2011.

Four thoughts were brought to my attention.

Oh that thou will bless me indeed. The longing for the presence and the unction of God. Just like Jacob pleaded for God's blessing, the point is without God all our endeavours will fail. Everything we do must be sanctioned and ordained by God or else it will be futile. Hence the cry for God's guidance, God's leading and God presence. Moses said of God, "If you will not go with us, we will not move from here." The Spirit whispered, "I will go before you". God's favour.

Enlarge my territory. What I am doing is not enough. I want to do more for God and do it well. That seems to be the message from this phrase. Give me this mountain, said Caleb in his 80s. There are many souls to be reached, many villages to hear the gospel and many church planters to be trained. Not with a spirit of competition but wanting to do all we can for the Master who has loved us and given himself for us. It is also a cry asking God for clear directions in the ministry. The Spirit whispered, "It will increase". God's guidance

Thy hand might be with me. Jabez prays for God's power and grace to be disclosed in his life. Its all about God. People who see us must be able to say, God is with him. Living a live in the spirit in all its fullness and power. My life must reflect the glory of God so that men will see the good work and glorify the father in heaven. The Spirit whispered, "My hand will be with you". God's power

Keep me from evil. A cry to live a holy life before God. God help me that I will flee from temptations and walk worthy of my calling. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from all evil. Psalms 51:10 - Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. It is also a cry for God to keep us from the wiles of the enemy. " The Spirit gave the assurance in Isa 54:17 - No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. God's protection

And you know what, God granted him that which he requested. Praise God, God is going to grant us our request.

Wishing all God's favour, God' s Guidance, God's Power and God's Protection in this Wonderful New Year.

Comments

  1. Great start for the year 2011. Thank you. God bless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory