Pray first, not last

Philippians 4:6–7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


We make countless decisions in life. Some are major decisions—about our family, ministry, finances, career, relationships and future. Others seem insignificant—what to do today, whom to call, what to say, where to go, what opportunity to pursue.


If we are honest with ourselves, our initial reaction when faced with a decision is often anxiety.

We think:

“What if I make the wrong decision?”
“What if this doesn't work?”
“What if I choose wrongly?”


And because we are anxious, we often rush into making decisions.

We use our intellect. We draw from our experience. We ask our friends and colleagues. We have discussions. We weigh the pros and cons. Then we make our decision and say: “Now, Lord, please bless what I have decided.”

But Paul gives us another approach. He says:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

What if God's way is not:

Decide → Act → Pray but: Pray → Listen → Decide → Act?

There are a few lessons we can draw from these verses:


1. Do not be anxious about anything

Is it really possible to “be anxious for nothing”After all, we are human. We face uncertainty, difficult circumstances, unexpected news and important decisions. Anxiety can be an immediate and natural reaction. Paul is not saying that we will never feel anxiousHe is saying that anxiety does not have to control us. Notice the wording: Do not be anxious about anything.Paul is not telling us to pretend that the problem doesn't exist. He is telling us where to take the problem when it does exist.

The question is not: Will I ever feel anxious?

The question is: What will I do when anxiety comes?

Because anxiety can become more than a feeling. It can become a driver.

When we are anxious, we can make decisions out of fear rather than faith.

We rush because we are afraid of losing an opportunity.
We speak because we are afraid of what others may think.
We act because we feel we must do something immediately.
We make decisions because we want to remove the uncertainty.

Anxiety says: “I must figure this out.”

Faith says: “God, I need Your wisdom.”

 

Anxiety says: “What am I going to do?”

Faith says: “Lord, what do You want me to do?”

There is a big difference.

We cannot always control what happens around us, but we can decide who we will turn to when it happens.


2. In every situation

Notice those words.

Every situation. Paul doesn't say, “Pray when you have a crisis.” He says every situation. Not only when the problem is big. Not only when we don't know what to do. Not only when our plans have failed.

Every situation.

Before the meeting.
Before the conversation.
Before the appointment.
Before the decision.
Before the opportunity.
Before we respond.

Bring it to God.

Why?

Because God is interested not only in the big decisions of our lives, but in the whole of our lives.


3. By prayer and petition

There is a difference between simply saying a prayer and seeking God's direction.

Paul says: By prayer and petition… present your requests to God.

Prayer is more than asking God to bless what I have already decided.

Prayer is saying:

Lord, what is Your will?

Lord, give me wisdom.

Lord, close the door if this is not from You.

Lord, open the door if this is Your direction.

Lord, help me not to be guided merely by my emotions, my ambition, my experience or the opinions of others.


Prayer moves us from: God, bless my plan to “God, show me Your plan.

That is a very different way of living.


4. With thanksgiving

This is perhaps the most surprising part. Why thanksgiving?

Because when we thank God before we know the answer, we are expressing trust.

Thanksgiving says:

  • Lord, I don't know what You are going to do, but I know You are good.
  • I don't know the outcome, but I know You are faithful.
  • I don't know which way to go, but I know You will guide me.

Thanksgiving is therefore an expression of faith. We don't thank God because everything is already settled. We thank Him because He is in control.

And when we surrender our decisions to God with prayer, petition and thanksgiving, something wonderful happens.


5. And the peace of God…

Verse 7 says: And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Notice what Paul does not promise. He doesn't say: You will immediately know the answer. He doesn't say: Everything will turn out exactly the way you want.

He promises something even deeper: The peace of God…

Sometimes God gives us the answer.

Sometimes He gives us the direction.

Sometimes He changes the circumstances.

But sometimes, before He changes anything around us, He changes something within us.

The anxiety begins to leave.

The heart becomes quiet.

The mind becomes settled.

And we know: God is with me. God is in control. I can trust Him. That is the peace that surpasses understanding. So perhaps the question this morning is not: How do I make the right decision? but: Have I brought the decision to God before I make it?

Don't make prayer the last step after all your decisions have been made. Make prayer the first step. Don't simply ask God to bless your decision. Ask God to lead your decision.

Don't pray:

“Lord, I have decided. Please bless it.”

Pray: Lord, I have a decision to make. Lead me. Give me wisdom. I surrender my will to Yours.

And when we do that, we may discover that God's greatest gift is not always an immediate answer.

Sometimes it is His peace while we wait for the answer.


Remember:

Prayer - Seek His will.
Petition - Bring your need to Him.
Thanksgiving - Trust His wisdom.
Peace  Rest in His presence.

Pray first.
Pray in everything.
Pray with thanksgiving.
Then walk in His peace.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The God Who Sees Me

Weekend at Kiros Cornerstone Church, Berastagi, Indonesia

When faith shines brighter than victory