Heading Home

Finally in Dubai Airport and heading for home. Missing all at home and in church. Can't wait to get back. Still have a few more hours to go before departure.

It has a been blessed time with good people in Dubai. Some reflections:

Two unpleasant incidents.
Marina area
Foreigners always make fun of Singapore as a "fine City" meaning there are fines for almost everything. But I found Dubai was worst. 

Villa on the Palm
I arrived one day earlier and was walking around in the Marina area (where the rich and famous lived). The streets were a bit complicated and I strayed into the tracks of the train. I quickly rushed to the station and suddenly a Filipino rushed out and gave me a shelling for walking within the restricted area. She sounded more like an "Arab than a Filipino".  She detained me and was frantically trying to call her supervisor. "I guess she had struck lottery" I tried to explain to her it was my first day in Dubai but she kept on with the rhetoric. "Do you know you have to pay a fine".  For a moment I forgot that I was a Christian and in arrogance said, "Tell me how much is the fine,  I will pay". AEP 2000. When I heard the amount, my arrogance which was on top of Buch Kalifah fell down to ground zero and I begged for mercy.  I asked her if I failed to pay, will they throw me into jail. She said they will not but will send my details to the immigrations and ban me from coming again. I told her not to worry about that as I will never come back to Dubai. Since she was unable to get her supervisor on the phone, she let me off with a warning. I was beginning to hate Dubai. 

Then I got into the train and found a seat in an empty compartment.  I noticed that people were standing in the adjacent compartments and mine was empty. Suddenly an Indian shouted, "Hey fine 100",  and and he pointed to the floor of the compartment. "Woman and children only". I jumped out of the  compartment and went straight to my hotel. Enough is enough.

But Dubai is a rich mission field. More than 100 nations are represented here and its a very progressive country. Clean with tall skyscrapers and huge highways. Very much like a city in the US. The harvest is indeed plenteous here. Millions here need Christ, especially those from India, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh. No restrictions to evangelism, except to Muslims. 

Thank God the HI Global Consultations was a totally opposite experience.

Best hotel I have stayed so far in my life Thank God. Treat like a prince.

Met a number of committed people, passionate about the Great Commission. Heard some amazing testimonies of how people are trying to evangelize in spite of the threats of death and persecution. Some of the presentations were heart moving and made me realize how fortunate we are in our comfort zones.
The best group
My discussion group was the best. We were the noisiest and the most fun group. Every other groups were serious in their discussion and were as though in prayer. Ours was a bunch of fun loving ladies and gentlemen. The group was so loud that our neighbouring group decided to move to another location and the next day we were relocated to the far corner. I guess they were all jealous. But in spite of all the fun and laughter, we had serious discussions and a fruitful time.

Thank God my opening session went very well. Many were blessed. To God be the glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory