Obsession with titles - A reflection

In my earlier days in the ministry, there was always this nudge to be titled as a Rev, Dr or even called as a “servant of the Lord”. At first it was out of necesscity but later it becasme an ego issue. These days such creeping seem to have receded, as I learn to look more into the face of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But in those days and even now, I found such yearning not just to be a personal inclination but on the contrary it was not uncommon but quite widespread in the field.  I have noticed some so called servants of God get visibly agitated when not accorded the right decorum as per their earthly status. Worst still, when others lower in “their hierarchy” are given better honor then them, the dissention becomes more than noticeable. I am guilty as charged. But I guess I am not alone.

The desire for fame, title and recognition is not just a new phenomenon. Our Lord warned us of this danger when he said the following: Mat 20:25-28 -  Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,  and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

That’s is why following Jesus or to be more like Jesus, is a daily dying to the self, a daily carrying of one’s own cross and a daily crucifying one’ self on the cross.

How easy it is for us to forget the fact that Jesus, being the creator of the entire universe and being God himself, humbled to become man as reflected in Phi 2:6-8.  If our master can do this, how much more we his servant should be? When I realize that what I am and what I have become is purely by the grace of God and all I have, is not of my own, my submission to servitude becomes a natural progression. When I allow the Holy Spirit to take full control, of my being, my earthly passions for praise loses its gripe in surrender to His bidding, so much so that titles, fame and glory does not matter anymore. But doing His will become primary. May God give us the grace to be follower and the SERVANT.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory