Command or Request.

1 Tim 1:1 - Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope

There's much discourse these days in Christendom as to who an apostle is or whether the office exists today. Not surprisingly many have adorned their names by adding the initials "AS" to include this new title to their designation. Let the scholars debate on the legality of the office but my devotion addresses the question what is mean to be "called by the command of the God".

Surprisingly Paul  did not say that it was his desire or passion or he volunteered to serve in the ministry. But rather it was God who commanded him to do so. If it is a command what does it entail?

The word command has a host of synonyms to its list. Amongst others it includes, a commission, an order, a mandate, a duty, a demand. A serious responsibility is put on the recipient to fulfill it at any cost.

These words are familiar to those in the uniformed groups. Having served my national service and then in the air force for a good 26 years, such words are a daily war-cry. Its not just the command but what entails in its execution that matters most. From the military perspective, the word command has at least three connotations, engrained in its substance:
  • Obedience to the command
  • Execution of the command with precision to the order 
  • Followup action to ensure the order is continued until overruled by another order.
Paul is a legend as far as fulfilling the above is concerned. 

Obedience to the Command - Acts 26:16 - I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. 
  • His obedience was immediately. Immediately after his encounter on the road to Damascus and meeting with Ananias, Acts 9:20 says, " At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God." Gal 1:15-16 - But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: 
  • His obedience  called for a reassessment of  his priorities. Phi 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ
  • He obeyed even to the point of death. His obedience was not just in words or when time permits, it was his life and he obeyed even to the point of death. Acts 14:19 - They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. If we are so diligent to obey orders from our secular bosses, how much more should we be obedient when we are under the command of the Sovereign Lord of Hosts?

Execution with precision.  I have had the opportunity of participating in some of our National Day celebrations. It involves thousands of people, artillery and displays of all kinds. But its so well planned, rehearsed and perfectly coordinated. On the actual day, everything works like a clock to the amazement of the spectators. But for that to happen, it takes a months of planing, endless rehearsals, brain-storming and corrections, just for the two hour performance.Even before a nation goes to war, there is so much planning and rehearsals and every possible scenario though of. Soldiers are trained to encounter any situation. Paul obeyed his call with great precision.  Acts 26:19-20 - First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds. He knew what he was supposed to do. That is why he was able to say, "I have finished the race". Do we take our call seriously. Do we pray earnestly, plan meticulously and execute passionately? Its not about the titles, it's about fulfilling His command.

Follow up action.    Paul ensured that what he did, did not evaporate after him, Pau;l mentored new leaders. Timothy was mentored like his son. 1 Tim 1:2. To Titus he said, in Titus 1:5 - The reason I left you in Crete was that you might put in order what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. To Timothy he said in 2 Tim 2:2 - And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.

By The Command of God -  What a privilege, what an honor but what a responsibility. 

Takeaways
  • Am I obedient to His call. Not just in words, not only when I feel like, not when every thing is going on well.
  • Do I do God's work with all my heart, soul and mind
  • Am I passing on to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory