Darkest valley - Protection and Comfort

Psalms 23:4 - Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. (NLT)

Psalms 23 has often been cited as the 'peal of the psalms". Some call it the "shepherd's psalm". But whatever the description, this psalm alone is sufficient for any pilgrim who is terribly weary or in the most distressful situation.

I am truly amazed at the grander and the astuteness of this psalm and this can only be written by one who has had a personal experience with the shepherd of this psalm. Of course it must have been inspired by the influence of the Holy Spirit. The tenor of the psalm will still any distressful mind and calm even the stormiest seas.  

But one can only claim and own the promises of this peculiar psalm, when one knows the shepherd as "My shepherd". Without this personal relationship, the psalm is just mere poetry or a good read. 

Do you know Him as your Shepherd?

I am sure when David was penning this psalm, he must have reminiscent the days when he was walking though his darkest moments in his own life. 

The times when he cried in Pslam 22:1-2 - My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Why are you so far away when I groan for help? Every day I call to you, my God, but you do not answer. Every night I lift my voice, but I find no relief.

Or in Psalm 41:5But my enemies say nothing but evil about me, “How soon will he die and be forgotten?” they ask.

The KJV recites as the "valley of the shadow of death". What can be more worst than death?

Our darkest valleys can come in the form of sickness, loneliness, fear, uncertainty and in any form of severe distress. David had gone through them all. 

And yet in all these unbearable circumstances, he was able to confidently say - "I will not be afraid".

Why? Because God is with him. What an assurance. This is the promise that any true child of God can claim and own. 

Isaiah 41:2 - When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.

Child of God, in all you lonely ways, in all your thorny paths and in all you meandering and faltering steps, be assured that you are not alone. The Great Shepherd's Presence is by your side and He is close by you. You may not see Him or even feel Him, but He is there and he will see you through your darkest valley.

And the Lord offers two things in the verse by His presence: Protection and Comfort

Protection from the schemes of the enemy and comfort through the trying storms.

Sometimes God may not remove the storm but he will see us through the storm. God did not remove the Red Sea but He opted a way through it. 

Deut 31:6 - Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Because of this many other promises and like David we too can confidently say, "I will not be afraid, God you are with me and that is all I need". 

To God be the glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory