You bring me joy -3: Compassion for the Saints

You bring me joy – 3 : Compassion for the Saints

 

Paul really loved this church. We see in Philippians 1:7-8 - It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

 

There was a strong bond of love between Paul and this budding church and one other reason I think is because this church had such great compassion.

  • Philippians 4:10 - I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 

Earlier we saw that the church was involved in the proclamation of the gospel because they had compassion o the lost. Here we see compassion for the body of Christ. They had compassion on Paul for his well-being.

 

Later when they sent Epaphroditus to take care of Paul’s needs, they were worried when they heard Epaphroditus was ill. In spite of the fact that there was disunity in certain circles in that church, they really cared for one another.  

 

This is a very important aspect of being a member of the body of Christ. Unfortunately there is always a tendency for some to gossip and spill unhealthy verbiage on the streets (Bible calls this sin, in case you have not noticed) but barring this minority, we should be people who care and love each other in the church.

  • Jesus said in John 13:35 - By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

I said earlier we were made for relationships and one of the important relationship is that between brothers and sisters in the same church. We are members of His body. We are part of each other. If this is true then there must be love, compassion and care for one another. Sometimes we can be working in the same committee, team or even meet regularly and still be oblivious to the inner hurts, needs and even simple information of the others we are with. 

 

This cannot be so my brothers and sisters. True Christianity result is loving the neighbour as ourselves and if this is not happening, we need to ask ourselves, if we are Christians indeed.

 

This church was moved for members, shouldn’t we? Sometimes it could be as simple as a whatsApp message: How are you doing? I am praying for you?

 

Reflection

 

Do I know my church members well or at least those with whom I associate. Do they share their challenges with me or they avoid me or just simply ignore? 


Do I care for the body of Christ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory