Matters of the heart - Following the footsteps

Yesterday was my father's 3rd anniversary since he went to be with the Lord. As I did in the last year, I made my way to the sea shore where his bones were laid to rest. I wanted to be alone and hence the lonely trip. The ground was wet due to the incessant rains over the last few days. The sun was peering over the horizon, sending rays of  sunlight piercing through the morning dew. From a distance as I was driving through the narrow road, there were trees on both sides, like towering sentries, the sunlight softly caressing the dew draped leaves. I marveled at God's creation, reflected my father's life and memories but wished he was with us a few more years longer. Just couldn't understand why after him, my brother was also recalled, very much before his time.  

But His ways are higher than ours his thoughts greater than ours. He does all things well. Thanked God for the memories

It was drizzling lightly. There were bicycle tyre marks on the wet grass near the shore. Didn't think much of it, only said in jest that whoever had gone through this path must have had mud splashed all over him. It was really muddy.

I realized that the night before our son Jonathan had came home with a bicycle. He said he had loaned it from his friend. "Why?", I asked. "I want to cycle in the morning", was the deceptive reply. When I came back home, I discovered why Jonathan had loaned the bicycle. That wee hours of the morning, at the break of dawn, he had cycled about 15km to the sea-shore, much earlier than me, to pay his respects to his grandfather. When I told him I was there as well, he asked, "Did you see the tyre marks on the ground"? "Hmm..so its you"

Its things like this that brings delight to a father's heart. In times where people don't care even for the living, Jonathan has learned to value and respect the elders, even those who have gone on before us.   Pro 15:20 - A wise son brings joy to his father. Family relationships, respect, love and honor are values that we should adorn our kids with. These are priceless jewels that money cannot buy but can be nurtured and passed on with the help of the Holy Spirit.

I am sure my father must have smiled seeing his son and grandson making the annual secret pilgrimage, each not knowing what the other was doing. To God be the Glory

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory