Suffering like a good soldier - Part 1

2 Tim 3:3-4 - Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.

1979 - Serving National Service
 as  Officer-In-Charge
Chong Pang Police Station
In Singapore, every able male who reaches the age of eighteen, will have to undergo compulsory national service, in one of the armed services of our country. Its the time "when boys become men." In my case, I was privileged to serve as a police inspector in the police force whilst many of my contemporaries were conscripted into the army. For me it was one of the most memorable times of my life. Unfortunately for my friends in the army, it was a time of suffering and hard physical training. 


In the passage, Paul likens a christian to a soldier. Not jut a soldier but a good soldier. And he highlights three features that distinguishes a good soldier from a bad one.

A good solider endures suffering.   Paul tells Timothy to join him in suffering as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. Paul has had his measure of sufferings. In 2 Cor 11:23-28, Paul narrates his sufferings for the course of the gospel. Contrary to what many prosperity gospel preachers would like us to think, no where in the Bible do I read that Christians will be spared from suffering. In fact Jesus said in John 16:33 - In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. The issue is not the suffering but rather our response to it. A good soldier endures for the sake of  Christ. James tell us to "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials." Acts 5:41 - And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. If you are discouraged that you have been suffering so long, remember that Christ also suffered for you and me. Isaiah 53:3-5 - He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God,stricken by him, and afflicted.But he was pierced for our transgressions,he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. Suffering are designed to strengthen our faith, draw us closer to God, make  us dependent on God, bring joy and fulfill God's purposes and plans in our lives. Whilst the bad solider complains, frets, questions God, blames everyone else and sometimes even doubts God, let us be like Paul and the saints who counted it worthy to suffer for Him. How long then do I have to endure? As long as God allows it to continue. 
The question then beckons, in my suffering can I lift up my hands and with a free heart say like Job, "The Lord gave and the Lord took. Blessed be the Name of the Lord."
 

Comments

  1. Look So difference. Wow!
    I like to end my life as a good soilder for Christ.
    Thanks.
    sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory