Life's challenges - When it hits you real hard and bad

Life is full of distressful challenges. "Distressful" may be a mild description and used only when no choice of a better word. We face many difficult situations, painful moments and disappointments but sometimes there comes a time when one such incident hits us, which is the breaking point. You feel betrayed, rejected and empty. Its time like this when the self is brought to ground zero and the existence of God questioned. It is in times like this we can fully appreciate why David cried in Psalms 42:3 - "My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me continually, "Where is your God?"

Jesus had his own breaking point when His creation mocked him, "
"He saved others," they scoffed, "but he can't save himself! So he is the King of Israel, is he? Let him come down from the cross right now, and we will believe in him!" Mat27:42. No wonder He cried, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Mat 27:46. His breaking point was not a result of His own doing but that of man, you and me. 2 Cor 5:21 - "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us."

The words of Job were not said for no reason.

Job 3: 20: “Why is light given to those in misery, and life to the bitter of soul, to those who long for death that does not come, who search for it more than for hidden treasure, who are filled with gladness and rejoice when they reach the grave? Why is life given to a man whose way is hidden,whom God has hedged in? For sighing has become my daily food; my groans pour out like water. What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil.”

But many times these distressful situations are caused by our own misdeeds. Our faults, failures, lack of discretion, letting our guard down are some of the reasons why we end up in our unnecessary distressful situations.

It was in such a distressful situation that David cried out in agony,

2 Samuel 18: 33 - My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son!” David's pain in many ways was a result of his own wrong doing, sin to be straight forward.

What do you do in a situation like this?
  • Repent - Psalms 51
  • Make restitution - Mat 5:24
  • Graciously accept the consequences. 2 Sam 16:10
  • Pray that the consequences will be minimized if at all possible. 2 Sam 12:16
  • Put the past behind and move forward - Phi 3:13-14
May God grant mercy and strength to those who are in this situation. Hab 3:2 - LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.

"Sin has its consequences. It does not matter who. Its only when"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory