Devotion - Psalms 27:10: Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me"

The Bible calls David a man after God's heart. When we review his life from when God took him from looking after sheep to shepherd His own people, the nation of Israel, one thing stands out very clearly in David's life...his love for God. In Psalms 42:1, David cries, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God". One of the reason for David's passion for the Lord, I think, is because David always remembered how when he was only a shepherd boy, God lifted him to become the King. of a great nation. One of the verses that really elaborates this emotion of David is found in Psalms 27:10 - "Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me" (NIV).

Was there a time in David's life when his parents did not think well of him? You remember when Samuel the prophet came to anoint a King from the house of Jesse, all the brothers of David were invited to stand before the prophet, except David. Jesse did not have any high hopes for the boy. He did not even consider him for the role of the king. All he thought was that he was a shepherd boy, what use can he be to the nation. "There is still the youngest," Jesse answered, "but he is tending the sheep". It must have been very hurting for David, when he later learnt how he was assessed by his own father. Nevertheless God does not see the outward appearance but God sees the heart. He chose David above his brothers and that's why, "Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me".

Have you have been despised by your family or friends or even by your own church folks? Be encouraged, God cares for you. You are special. Isa 49:15 - "Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you". He will lift you up. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory