Devotion - Prosperity and Success: Part 2

Last week we considered the meaning of prosperity in Joshua 1:8 and we distinguished if from the views of those who prefer to see it as the basis for the health and wealth gospel. What about the word success. Does it mean that successful as in prosperity? Well the Hebrew word for success used in Joshua 1:8 is "sakal". That word means to act wisely, to have insight and to act circumspectly. In fact the Young's Literal Translation says: then thou does act wisely. Another translation says "you will finish well". The same word "sakal" is used in 1Sam 18:14 and the KJV translate - David behaved himself wisely....

In other words to be successful is to act wisely or behave wisely. How different from the normal way we would have considered success.

How then does one become full of the spirit and act wisely. The verse in Joshua 1:8 gives two commands:

a. Meditate upon it day and night. We hear this so often but we seldom do it. Isn't it true that many times we don't really have time to mediate upon the Word of God. A chapter or some verses are rushed off during devotions to satisfy the godly requirements and the weak conscience. What was on your mind last night before you fell into sound sleep? Are there times in the day when the word of God comes into the mind for some quiet contemplation. I am so guilty of this. But if you and I want to be full of God and full of wisdom, this is the first step that we need to do. Psalms 1 echos the same thoughts. "Blessed is the man.....who meditates on the law of the Lord day and night. He is the one who is planted by the rivers waters and whatever he does shall prosper.

b. Obey. The next key element is to obey the Word. James 1:22 exhorts us not only to be hearers but doers of the Word. The one who meditates and obeys will be prosperous and successful

The following verses may be helpful when we deal with those who profess the health and wealth gospel:

Psalms 37:27 - I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.

Phi 4:19 - And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Pro 30:8-9 - Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It is finished" - Jesus Christ

What a trip to Nepal

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory