Light, Salvation, Fortress


“The Lord is my light and my salvation— so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?” - Psalms 27:1 NLT

 

This morning’s devotion assured me of three important aspects of God’s insurance that forms my spiritual “iron dome” against the avalanche of attacks of the enemy.  (Doesn’t it sound like the ongoing war in the ME?)

 

  • He is my light
  • He is my salvation
  • He is my fortress.

 

God is my light. This assures me that God gives us guidance and wisdom in making simple or even complex decisions. Psalms 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. In life’s journey, God’s light doesn’t illuminate the entire road, but rather guides us step by step, like the beams of a car's headlights. My life’s experience has taught me that that is sufficient for had I known the whole journey, I would not have embarked in the first place. Trust God, one step at a time, even though the future seems oblique. 

 

God is my salvation. Certainly the preamble to this phrase must mean that through God's grace and mercy, a person is redeemed and given eternal life or a renewed relationship with God. This is particularly seen in the sacrifice of our Lord on the cross of Calvary.  John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that He gave….But this profound declaration also means that when we get into trouble due to our own wrong doings, God comes to rescue us when we cry out to Him. I am reminded of David in wanting to escape Saul's relentless pursuit, he sought refuge among the Philistines, the traditional enemies of Israel. David was even willing to join forces with the enemy to attack his own people in 1 Samuel 29. Obviously David, failed to trust God, he forgot the promises God gave through the Prophet Samuel and in his desperation turned to the enemies. Sad indeed but isn’t this what we do ourselves many times. When trials and tribulations overtake us, the sad tendency is to negate the sovereignty of God and chose ways to violate our dependence on Him. Yet, God in His love and mercy, proved to be David’s salvation and rescued him from his foolish ways. Sometime when we stray from God’s ways, he corrects us, redirect our thoughts and realigns us to His biddings. Psalm 107:13-14 - "Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness, and broke away their chains. God's willingness to save those who call out to Him, even when they are in distress due to their own actions. He is my salvation. Even why I am wrong, God, my Father, is merciful, always waiting when I will return.

 

God is my fortress.  A fortress is a strong, fortified place designed to protect its inhabitants from enemies and dangers. This is a powerful statement of faith, symbolizing God's role as a protector, source of strength, refuge, and defender. It expresses trust in God's ability to offer safety, stability, and security in every situation. Psalm 91:2: "I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' No matter what the enemy wants to throw at me, I am protected and I can navigate through difficulties and emerge stronger.  I take comfort that “No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me,” declares the Lord." Isaiah 54:17

 

So why in the world should I tremble?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory

What a trip to Nepal

Fare-thee-well my friend, Rev James Ng - A tribute