God is sovereign.

Job 42:2-3, 5-6 (NIV): - “I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted. You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know... My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.”

Yesterday Jeya and I visited a friend in hospital. This sister was diagnosed with a severe form of leukaemia. The reports did not look good. When we visited her, she was having fever and pain and suffering form the side effects of chemotherapy.

Yet there was peace in her face. She was talking to us about the goodness of God, how the Lord has sustained her through this trying period. She even spoke of God's grace in helping her to do her ministry duties before he was admitted to the hospital.  Almost all her sentences were punctuated with "By God's grace"

"I believe God can heal but if He says it's time's up, I am ready to go home".  That were her words of faith. But more importantly trust in the sovereignty of God.

I was also reminded of Job’s story in the Bible which provides a profound exploration of human suffering and divine sovereignty. Throughout his trials, Job wrestles with understanding God’s ways and sovereignty.

Remember when he was tempted by the devil, he was so founded on his faith in God and he was able to say - Job 1:21 - The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”   

Even under severe pressure from his wife to curse God, Job remains steadfast, attributing his circumstances to God's sovereign will. 

  • Job 2:10 - ‘You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?’ In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.”·      

But as his suffering continues and deepens, Job begins to question why God allows such pain and whether it is just. His friends’ accusations further confuse and distress him. Job demands an explanation from God, seeking to understand the reasons behind his suffering and asserting his righteousness.

  • Job 13:3 -  “But I desire to speak to the Almighty and to argue my case with God.
But God in His mercy responds to Job out of a whirlwind, questioning him about the mysteries of creation and the vastness of God’s power, which are beyond human comprehension.
  • Job 38:4 -  “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand.”

Confronted with the undeniable evidence of God’s majestic power and wisdom, Job humbly acknowledges his limited understanding and submits to God's sovereign will. 

  • In Job 42:2-3, 5-6 -  "I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted... Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know... My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." 
Job's repentance reflects a profound realization of God's grandeur and his own limitations.

Through his suffering and God's revelation, Job's faith and trust in God's sovereignty deepen. Despite his earlier questioning, he ultimately accepts God's will.

  • Job 42:10 - "After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before." 

This restoration emphasizes that trusting in God's sovereignty, even in the face of hardship, leads to blessing

Job's journey from questioning God to humbly accepting His sovereignty illustrates a deepened understanding of God's supreme authority and wisdom. Initially, Job accepts his suffering as part of God's control. However, as his trials intensify, he struggles to reconcile his pain with God's justice. Through God's revelation, Job comes to realize the vastness of God's power and the limits of human understanding. Ultimately, he submits to God's will, trusting in His divine plan.

This narrative encourages believers to trust in God's sovereignty, even when life’s circumstances are difficult to understand. It teaches that God's ways are higher than ours and that His plans, though sometimes mysterious, are always guided by His perfect wisdom and authority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory

What a trip to Nepal

Fare-thee-well my friend, Rev James Ng - A tribute