How do you want to be remembered?

Philippians 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you.

In life, we meet many people. We have relationships at different levels. The closest to us will be our family members, then our relatives, our friends, colleagues and the list goes on. Some of them we hold to us dearly while many acquaintances will be just a fleeting momentary thought. 

But how do we remember these relationships or rather how would you like to remembered by the others.

I know of children who just don’t want to talk about their parents. I also know of parents who have been abandon by their children. They wish their children were not born.

“I wish they were dead”, that’s how some think of others. 

When I think of some people, the first thoughts about them are:

  • A godly person
  • Speaks the truth from the heart
  • A loving father or mother
  • A great example to follow
  • I want to be like him
  • A man of great humility

But there are some, unfortunately called Christians, my impressions of them are not so reputable:

  • The people of other faith are much better than him.
  • A gossip
  • A bad testimony
  •  Can't be trusted
  • The devil needs to take tuition from him
  • A womaniser 

But look at how Paul remembers the church in Philippi. 

They may not be perfect. They have their flaws. They were a young church. But he thanks God every time he thinks of them. They must have done something that Paul has observed that translates into thanksgiving and praise. The very thought of them gives him joy. It must have been something so worthy that even the greatest apostle thinks of them with thankfulness.

When the apostle thought of the church in Galatia, he could not say the same thing. But rather in the sadness of his heart he said, "I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you" (Gal 4:11)

I am not perfect but it gives me some consolation when people say:

  • I want to be like you
  • I see Christ in you
  • Thank you for speaking to me heart
  • Thank you for brining me to Christ and to the church.
  • Your life has spoken to me

One of the main transformation that takes place in the life of a believer is that he or she becomes more like Jesus. A life of sanctification. That is our goal as a Christian. 

Romans 8:29  For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

God’s intend is that we will conform to the image of his son, becoming more and more like Christ.

2 Cor 3:18 - So our faces are not covered. They show the bright glory of the Lord, as the Lord's Spirit makes us more and more like our glorious Lord. (CEV)

God's intent is that we will grow daily in this scantificaltion process. We may not be there yet but with the help of the Holy Spirit we can make progress everyday. 

I admire Daniel in the Old Testament.

Daniel 1:4 - At this, the administrators and the satraps tried to find grounds for charges against Daniel in his conduct of government affairs, but they were unable to do so. They could find no corruption in him, because he was trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent.

They just could not find a single fault with him. What a testimony

Pilate said of Jesus, “I find no fault in Him”.

David is  remembered as a man after God’s heart.

God remembers Job- “There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” – Job 1:8

This is the greatest character reference anyone can get. 

What and how would  I want to be remembered?

When I think of my wife, I thank God for her. I thank God for my children who love the Lord and are walking in His ways.

My prayer and hope is that my life will so reflect the glory of God and when my children and friends think of me, they would say like Paul said to the Philippians - "I thank my God every time I remember you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devotion - Psalms 44: 6-7 - Its God who gives the victory

What a trip to Nepal

Fare-thee-well my friend, Rev James Ng - A tribute